Monday, June 29, 2015

Ideas, Ideas.

Hello again!  So today I'll be talking about ideas, if only briefly.
Yesterday I was thinking about my newest project, and I was wondering "What could I add?"  Because my biggest writer problem, is that I condense things, and need extra plot to keep the story going.  So, I was sitting on my bed, commuter on lap, and I glanced off to the side, where my bed table is, and saw my Bible (If you have read the page about the blog's name, then you already know that I'm a Christian).  I picked it up, deciding to try something for plot points.  I flipped to a random page and chose a verse.  It was Song of Soloman 8, and it said something about a pile of pomegranates.  I thought "huh.  What if they ran into a pile of fruit?  Where would the fruit come from?  Where would it go? (where would it come from Cotten-Eyed Joe)" And I brainstormed off that single verse.  Now, I understand you might not be Christian, but thankfully, this method works for any book, not just the Bible.  Just pick up a book and brainstorm off one random sentence you come across.  It gave me 5 plot ideas for my book, so it seems a reasonable method, right?
Now, I agree with what many writers say.  Don't wait around for ideas and inspiration to come say hi.  You have got to sit down and write, inspired or not.  But I prefer to be inspired.  Another good thing to do with that method is to find an idea, mid-writing, and put the idea right where you are "blocked" (Like several other writers, I too, do not believe in Writer's Block.  That's waiting for Inspiration to come to you, and sometimes it has to visit other friends.  In that case, it'll be a long while before it comes around to you for you to write the second chapter of the book.  That book will take FOREVER to write), then see how the characters react to your random insertion.
However, don't always make it random.  You really shouldn't have a pile of fruit in one scene for no reason at all.  Instead, take the pile of fruit, and let the characters take some.  Maybe later they'll be absolutely famished.  Hey look!  They now have something to keep them from dying, which is good in most cases.
How do you get ideas or inspiration?  Share (If you want) in the comments!

-Viola June HFA-DGN

No comments:

Post a Comment